Monday, May 11, 2009

Yoga and the Related Page

While attending my yoga class this week (which is suppose to be relaxing and meditative) I found myself contemplating answers to a question posed by some of our clients. How in the heck did this happen?

Well I'll tell ya, we were in Vrksasana Pose (sanskrit for Tree Pose), by the way, this can be an agonizing pose if you have on slippery yoga pants. And with my arms held quietly in namaste, this pose supports drawing the attention and center of gravity inward and downward. You know like the roots of a tree, hence the name.

As I focused on my balance and breathing, my thoughts wandered to the branches and leaves on a tree. Branches and leaves on a tree, well that's quite normal, until I realized, this is an answer to the question.

The question being, when do you use a department, division, or related page on your website? In structuring the website, the department is the tree, the divisions are the branches, and the leaves are the related pages.

Therefore, if you have a wealth of information to post to your website, yet you want to break up the information into segments, then you have a department. From here, you whittle down to the division names and the composition for each as they are a separate branch from the department. And any special documentation that doesn't require a division, yet it supports the department or division it is assigned to, is then added as a related page, the leaf or leaves.

Wow, now that information, was worth being in this pose for what seemed like eternal endless time, until, I had to switch to the other side. So me being me, after the switch to the other side to balance out the pose, I wandered if I'd get the answer to the lottery numbers for the upcoming week.

Nope, nada, nothing. Oh well, I tried. Namaste!